Why Go Green
With an ever-growing concern for the environment and our health, sustainable and healthy products have become a main concern. Not only do the products we use today affect us, they also affect future generations to come.
When it comes to your home, there are many reasons for ‘Going Green’ when considering your flooring options. There are many options available to you with both refinishing and installations of your flooring. When it comes to refinishing your floors, one of the first questions you may ask yourself is either using a Oil-base or Water-base polyurethane. Here are some key factors of both finishes to consider when choosing:
Oil-base Polyurethane versus Water-base Polyurethane
• Amber finish – warm glow that darkens over time with the wood which produces a golden/yellowing effect
• Higher Solids – gives a thicker appearance (resin like) due to its higher solids content
• High VOC content (350 VOC) compared to Water-base
• Longer Dry Times (8-12 hours dry time for foot traffic, 72 hours for 98% cure rate and when furniture can be moved back and it takes 30 days to 100% cure)
• Off Gasses – Lingering smell can take weeks to dissipate
• Economical and Durable – its the most economical finish out there for its durability and ease of use
• Comes in four sheens – Satin, Semi-Gloss, Gloss and High Gloss.
• Self-Leveling – Self levels its self and easier to apply than other finishes
• Non Ambering Finish – doesn’t yellow or darken over time or darken. There are however Water-base sealers that produce an amber affect to the wood
• Low Odor and VOC content (200 VOC or lower)
• Quicker Dry Times (2-3 hours dry time for foot traffic, 48 hours to move furniture back and its 100% cured after one week).
• Lower Off Gassing – because of the lower odor and quicker dry time, water-base off gasses alot less and usually the low odor is gone within a few days.
• Comes in many sheens – Matte, Satin, Semi-Gloss and Gloss.
• Durability: improved scratch resistance and chemical resistance compared to Oil-base
While choosing a finish can be difficult, Go Green Floors can help you choose the right finish for your project. We can help you choose the right finish to best suit your budget and your needs.
Safer for your Family
When choosing a finish for your floors, you may want to consider the toxicity and VOC content of the finish. This is especially important if you have a young family or planning on having one. Some traditional ‘Oil’ base finishes ‘off-gas’ for many days/weeks after they are applied and can be dangerous to small children and pregnant women.
Safer for your Home
The US Environmental Protection Agency, the American Lung Association, the World Health Organization and other public health and environmental organizations view indoor air pollution as one of the greatest risks to human health. Water-based polyurethanes have significantly reduced the health and environmental hazards of hardwood floor refinishing and finishing. If you are concerned about your homes indoor air quality, then choosing either an Low or Zero VOC finish is very important.
Safer for your Enviroment
Choosing greener flooring products for your home, not only helps your enviroment but also everyone else’s. Go Green Floors can help you choose the right flooring or finish for your home. Please contact us today for a free consultation.
Some customers prefer oil-based finishes because they can give hardwood an added depth and appearance that is not as evident with waterborne finishes. Oil-based can be more glossier and thicker than water-based finishes. If you are set on using an oil-based finish for your project, we still provide this option for our customers and would be happy to give you an estimate.